I’ve been to two restaurants around town that have a shaved Brussels sprout salad that are great: Late Harvest Kitchen ( at the Fashion Mall) and Pizzology (on Mass Ave). Monday I met a friend at Pizzaology for lunch, and of course got a pizza for lunch, but ordered a Brussels sprout salad to-go for my dinner at work that night.
Let me say: IT WAS AMAZING (I’m a bit of a salad aficionado) and I’m sure the dressing had a lot to do with my love for the dish. Here is my effort at recreating the dish, with a dressing that didn’t turn out quite like Pizzaology’s (because I didn’t have a recipe to go off- I just made it up) but it was still pretty damn good!
- 1 1/2 lb shaved Brussels sprouts ( I used a Chef’n brand mandolin to slice/shave the Brussels.. You can purchase one here. This tool is great for slicing any veggie! Just watch your fingers!)
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 Bartlett pear, cut into matchsticks
- 1 Pink Lady apple, cut into matchsticks
- zest from one lemon
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pecans
- Garnish: smoked salmon trimming
- juice from 1 large lemon
- 6 shakes of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (I always add this to my salad dressings)
- 4 Tbsp honey
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- Shave all your Brussels. (That sounds dirty . . . muah ha ha)
- Add all salad ingredients, toss.
- Add dressing, toss again.
- Top with fresh cracked pepper, lemon zest and smoked salmon. Add a little extra blue cheese if you’re feeling frisky.
And VIOLA! That’s it. Easy peasy. I like to leave my greens dressing-free in the fridge for salads through out the week. There will be plenty of left overs here- so you’ll have those shaved bad boys waiting for you. Like I’ve said before, I always like to make my recipe in large quantities because I’m the left-over queen.