Como estas, amigos? It’s taco Tuesday, and I was reminded today that I made some AMAZINGLY fresh and delectable short rib tacos about a month ago that I never posted. These tacos definitely hit the spot- one of my favorite foods (as I’m sure y’all know but now, is short ribs). So, when I decided it was taco night I immediately made the executive decision to go in for the short rib as the chosen taco meat. Topped with some peach, jalapeno, corn salsa and some mango cabbage slaw, and finished off with some short rib juice, easy pickled onions and cojita. These were dabomb.com . (I’m not even sorry I just said that). I always like to add a fresh element to my tacos, and the peach and mango added a touch of sweetness to compliment the jalapeno in the salsa and the chiles in Adobo in the short ribs. These will have taco juice running down your face. You won’t even care!
Below you’ll find a few separate recipe cards for each component of the short rib tacos, and the short rib taco recipe card itself will come last, and include references to each component card above it. I decided to do it this way versus putting the recipe for each topping all on one recipe card. I thought the slaw and corn salsa could also pair with other dishes, and the mango kale salad can be eaten as a meal itself. So- for the purposes of this post we will list each one separately.
I’m aware this is a little bit lengthier than most of my posts- but that’s because there are so many yummy components to this dish! So, hold on to your sombreros- here we go!
First, the Mango Kale Salad. This was served on the side. (Note- always make sure to DOUBLE wash your leafy greens. Lot’s of nooks and crannies for dirt and sand to get stuck in, and no one likes a mouth full of dirt.)
- 1 bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 ripe mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into match sticks
- 1 cup crushed croutons, (I like the Texas Toast brand- Garlic flavor)
- 1 c rinsed cilantro
- juice from 2 large limes
- zest from 2 large limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 c olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Place rinsed and chopped salad ingredients in salad bowl.
- Top with crushed croutons.
- In mini food processor, add all salad dressing ingredients. Pulse until well blended.
- Pour over salad and toss.
- You can also add 1/2 avocado or 2 tbsp Greek yogurt to this salad dressing concoction to make it creamy. If you choose to do this, add the avocado or yogurt before the vinegar and oil and reduce the amounts of both of those slightly to accommodate for the extra creaminess from the avocado/yogurt.
- I like extra lime juice in mine!
(In case you were wondering- these are all the ingredients pictured in this photo, clock-wise starting with the short-ribs in the lower left hand corner. Short ribs, cilantro, easy pickled onions, peach jalapeno corn salsa, mango slaw, Cojita cheese, tortillas (DUH) and in the middle- short rib juicy goodness. (Good to drizzle over the top of the taco with some lime juice for some chin drips. You might want to wear a bib.)
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded/sliced on thinnest setting on your mandoline
- 1/2 mango
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c Plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Slice cabbage and place in bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in food processor.
- Mix the "dressing" into the cabbage.
- This slaw is so simple so you can pair it with other taco and sandwich toppings. The lightness of the mango dressing is great for summer time.
Ever since I was little, I’ve LOVED peaches and nectarines. However, I don’t buy them that often because peaches are a pain in the ass to peel, I’m lazy, and I don’t like to eat the fuzzy skin. This particular night though, I was craving some sweet juicy peaches and I thought they’d be the perfect compliment to these jalapenos.
- 2 cups fresh cut Indiana Sweet corn
- 2 peaches, peeled and diced
- 1 large, or 2 small chopped jalapenos (leave seeds in for extra spice)
- Juice from one large lime
- zest from one large lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- (This can also be served warm- but beware juices will release from peaches and corn when heated and the salsa might need to be drained before serving).
- 2 lbs short ribs (Bone in or boneless-either is fine)
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 2 Tbsp chiles in Adobo
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- Mango Cabbage Slaw
- Peach Jalapeno Corn Salsa
- Cojita cheese
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime
- Add all ingredients into pressure cooker.
- Cook according to your machines instructions.
- Save juice to drizzle on top of your tacos.
- Pull meat apart.
- Place on tortilla.
- 1. Mango Cabbage Slaw
- 2. Peach Jalapeno Corn Salsa
- 3. Cojita cheese
- 4.Chopped cilantro
- 5. squeeze of lime
- 6. drizzle of short rib juice
- You can also cook your short ribs in a slow cooker, or slow roast them in the oven.
- All taco toppers are optional but I recommend all of them for maximum flavor potential.
- Serve with Mango Kale Salad on the side.
- Bon Appetit!
Now you’re saying, ” OHHHHH! Woe is me! Whatever shall I drink with these delectable morsels from taco heaven? What libation shalt thou sip upon?!?!” (This is something I would actually say. In a terrible Shakespearean British accent. Imagine it. You’re welcome.)
Fear not, toots. I got you covered there too. What? You think I’d made you take all this time making a freaking taco and leave yer whistle dry as a bone? No, no, no. Here is this evening’s “ode to tequila.”
Aaron made these Ancho Chile Peach Margaritas for me while I was cooking. I had one sucked down and was feeling good before I even got my tacos put together. Let’s just say he has a heavy hand. (I’m not even mad.) Click the photo link below to go to the recipe!
That’s it for tonight, y’all. Tacos and tequila are two of my jams, and I am happy to share them with ya! Happy Taco Tuesday!