Seriously foodie friends. I’ve been wanting to try a Chia pudding/parfait for a while now, but all the photos I’ve seen of them look like they take forever to prepare, and I haven’t had a lot of time in the kitchen lately. I’m here to tell you- this was probably the easiest dessert I’ve ever made. I’ve been reading a ton of recipes and most people are serving these Chia puddings/parfaits for breakfast, but I would eat this for dessert! Strawberries and cream? (Make that coconut cream) Yes, please!
PLUS- This is VEGAN and GLUTEN-FREE!
Not that I’m a vegan, or gluten-free, it’s just nice to know that there are healthy dessert/breakfast options out there that taste great, and look pretty- because we eat with our eyes first, right? Also, I’m aware that some people don’t consider honey a vegan item. Some do, some don’t. I’m not a hipster so I’ll call it freakin’ vegan. If you don’t eat honey, then obviously- omit it. I just personally would rather use a natural sweetener than an artificial, or processed one where applicable.
This particular recipe uses coconut milk from a can- considerably more fat than if you used almond milk, or coconut milk from a carton. However, I really think the thick creaminess of the canned coconut milk gave it an awesome smooth, creamy texture and a delicious, light coconut flavor. (Also- COCONUT is a super food- HELLO?!?!) AND, it’s a good fat! Winner winner, Chia seed dinner!
My girlfriend and I both really liked it- however, by boyfriend, who despises Tapioca didn’t care for this. If you don’t like tapioca, or have a texture issue, this recipe probably isn’t for you! Here we go!
- 8 Tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp Lockerbean's Vanilla
- 4 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1- 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 cup hulled strawberries
- 2 Tbsp honey
- In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla, maple syrup and shredded coconut.
- Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- For the strawberry puree: Blend strawberries and honey in small food processor.
- Whisk chia seed mixture once more, and let sit in the fridge for an additional 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, layer chia mixture and strawberry puree into dishes.
- Serve immediately, or let sit in fridge for more firmness. (I like the texture immediately after layered!)
- Use a clear glass for prettiest results!
Has anyone else tried Chia pudding? What are your thoughts? Favorite flavors? I’d love to hear your tips/tricks!