Sauce! Sauce! Gimme all the sauces! But not BBQ. GRUSS.
As the only weirdo on the planet that doesn’t like BBQ sauce- I bring you today’s post: smoked, pulled pork shoulder with goats’ cheese and blueberry balsamic compote.
I’ve never been a fan of BBQ sauce. I know it’s weird (I almost feel like it’s unpatriotic or something?!)- especially because I’m the Queen of Dipping Sauces. But, it’s just never really tickled my pickle, if you catch my drift. I made this compote once last year, and this will be the second time I’ve made it this year. The combination of the goats cheese, smoky pork and sweet and tangy blueberry pair so well together! This trifecta rocks any dish you add it to: topping for waffles, stuffing in a sweet potato(I also add crunched up pistachios!)- or simply on these little King’s Hawaiian buns: because lesbihonest- everything is good on these babies.
Today I’m sharing the compote recipe only. It’s SUPER easy and it can be stored like a jam or jelly. * As a side note, it’s also pretty dayum good shaken with bourbon and a lemon twist. Do it! Do it!
- -16 oz fresh blueberries
- -2 Tbsp water
- -1 Tbsp Vanilla
- -1.5 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- -1/4 C brown sugar
- - zest of one lemon
- -1 squeeze of lemon juice
- Over medium heat, add blueberries to a sauce pan.
- Add water, let simmer and stir until blueberries begin to deflate and sizzle.
- Whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- Let reduce for 2 min and continue to whisk.
- Add balsamic vinegar and let reduce and thicken for another 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk in lemon zest and juice.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Store as you would jam or jelly.